View Single Post
Old January 29, 2009, 09:47 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

In FoF training at Thunder Ranch, the ranch handyman was a Vietnamese gentleman named Tran who would serve as one of the opposition force guys to be sought out in the simulators. His "specialty," according to Clint Smith, was stopping SWAT teams by himself during the night exercises where he didn't use a light. He didn't always win, but he often won several times in a row.

It is really easy to say that you need to use a light sparingly, never from the same position twice, etc., but when you are navigating unfamiliar ground, such as in a parking lot at night, a business where the power has gone off, a friend's home, etc., "sparingly" takes on a whole new meaning. If you are pinned down in one spot, then you only get to use your light once and that is it?

The other aspect is that just because the light has gone off doesn't mean that you are invisible. Tran was able to hit darkened targets with considerable frequency because he noted the movement of the light and shot to where he expected the darkened target to be. As a bad guy, he didn't have to worry about collateral damage, bystanders, etc.

Like Pax, I had never heard of it as the "Good Technique," LOL. In fact in Googling the title, this is the only place on the internet that I am seeing the method giving the moniker of "Good Technique."

My pop learned the "FBI" method in Dallas Pd as being where you held the light up out and forward from your head so as to move the focus of the BGs away from oneself. He still got the benefit of illuminating the sights as well as illuminating the bad guys and often with elevated lighting that would help downplay problems of shadows caused by more direct frontal lighting as provided by the "Good Technique."

So ranburr, where are you in Texas and did you want to come out next time and demo for us?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 31, 2009 at 08:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.05229 seconds with 8 queries