View Single Post
Old October 27, 2011, 09:10 AM   #13
rantingredneck

Quote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. In the Lyman manual, they show it the other way around, H110 being faster than Lil' Gun(by five or six positions I believe). I have read somewhere that the actual burn rates can vary depending on conditions. So I would assume that there is some sort of standard test they do to come up with the burn rates. But perhaps when it comes down to actually propelling a bullet down the barrel, positions on that burn rate chart could change.????
Another possibility is that (from what I've read) Hodgdon may have made some changes to the formulation of Lil' Gun several years ago due to forcing cone erosion issues that people were encountering with it. To the point where Freedom Arms specifically disavows the use of Lil' Gun in their revolvers.

I've not seen official confirmation from Hodgdon that they changed anything, but there's a lot of speculation that they did because folks who've used it lately haven't experienced the same issues (again, from what I've read). Personally, I've used up quite a bit of Lil' Gun so far in my Blackhawk and the forcing cone still looks new so maybe there's something to that. If they changed the formulation it may have changed it's position on the chart and since Hodgdon makes both 'Lil Gun and H110 you'd think their data may be more accurate/current than Lyman???

Anyhow......

I appreciate others experiences with other powders and If I can't make something work here with Lil' Gun (which I have a ready supply of...) then H110 is likely my fallback plan. But, I'm not there yet.......

Thanks....

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Page generated in 0.04996 seconds with 8 queries