Thread: Proper die care
View Single Post
Old March 3, 2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Mr. Irwin, I'm supprised at your comments on WD-40. I dissagree that the product leaves behind a mess that is difficult to remove."

Over time, the light-weight oils in WD-40 will oxidize like mad. Once that happens, they form a varnish that is very difficult to remove, even with solvents like brake cleaner.

I've seen far more than my fair share of firearms, fishing reels, clocks, and other precisions that have been "cared for and lubricated" with WD-40 and left until the stuff decays and causes major problems for the person who has to clean it out.

WD-40 does have some good points. It displaces water. That's sort of its reason for existing. It's good for lubricating door hinges. It does a great job in removing candle wax, chewing gum, etc. It's also VERY effective when used in conjunction with steel, brass, or nylon wool for rust removal.

Other than that, I don't have much use for the stuff at all.

There are FAR better products on the market, ones that have much better protectant capabilities, and ones that don't have the potential for leaving a nasty, hard to clean up mess behind.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02757 seconds with 8 queries