View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 06:04 PM   #13
ROCK6

Well, kudos to the WA, Benton County sheriff’s department. They responded much more quickly than I expected and resolved the mistaken identity issue tagging me with a warrant. My new FL State CHL should be in hand in a week or two.

It was a “type” of identity theft as my name was a perfect match, but nothing else matched nor the description of the initial charge. No lawyer needed, but I did get a quick consult from a local attorney and our military lawyers.

I still think this must be addressed at the representative level and am going to draft up some letters. My concern is that is that any form of national background check system is going to be severely prone to errors and these “red flags” where their constituents are going to bear the burden of proof to fight errant criminal charges or records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
Good luck getting everything worked out.

Having known military personnel and DOD civilian workers with TS/CSI clearances didn't mean a hill of beans in the civilian world unless it specifically applied to employment or research applications.

A friend is having a similar issue and I'll give you the same advice, get a lawyer. Whether a lawyer does anything more than cost a lot of money is another question.
It all depends on how you come across. Sure it doesn’t mean much to many that don’t understand it, but I must admit everybody I talked to (which was many) were very helpful and really tried to provide an answer or direct me to someone who (they thought) could.

It was a “type” of identity theft as my name was a perfect match, but nothing else matched nor the description of the initial charge. No lawyer needed, but I did get a quick consult from a local attorney and our military lawyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac’s!
The bottom line is that something went wrong with your background check. Since you know that there's nothing in your past and WA State agrees, you need to contact the Florida authorities. I think it's the Florida Department of Law Enforcement that does those checks. (FDLE) You also need to check your credit rating. A warrant hit may only be the tip of the iceberg. Identity theft happens. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Great advice Mac, I appreciate it and already done. Nothing out of order, but it does give you a good reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jack
My wife applied for a CCW permit. She was denied. They said a red flag poped up and we would have to get her arrest record. We had to go to the county courthouse and get a notorized copy of both her city and county arrest records. She had no arrest records but we had to prove it. Cost us another $40 dollars just to verify it. After sending in the records they mailed her CCW.
Dallas Jack
Yeah, this only cost me $10 for an online records check, which I didn’t need to do. The court house provided the certified statement to FL and it was cleared up this morning. Still, if I have to pay to prove my innocence, I start to wonder about where our legal system is going…it does make it frustrating.

ROCK6

Page generated in 0.02290 seconds with 8 queries