View Single Post
Old March 11, 2008, 02:16 PM   #10
davlandrum

Quote:
Lewis & Clark, Teddy Roosevelt, George Patton, Wyatt Earp, all would laugh as such a notion
Probably, but even in their day, those were not average Americans.

Quote:
My neighbor, an 82 yr. old WW II Marine sure wouldn't hide in his basement. He is probably the last generation of real men, real Americans, that believes in self reliance.
I think that totally disrespects all those that have worn the uniform.

If the dispatcher had said "stay in the house" versus "the basement", would this even be a discussion?

Sorry this got under your skin, 38, but honestly you are making sweeping generalizations and out of context historic references for effect.

While no one can understate the sacrifices of our Veteran's of WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, the one fact no one mentions is that there was a draft, so many of the people ended up in uniform because they had to be there. Once there, they were brave and selfless, and made our nation what it is. I served my entire career with volunteers who had a choice and decided to go in harm's way. I would bet, if there was a draft and everyone had to serve, you would see the same great service that people think is lost.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart

Page generated in 0.03665 seconds with 8 queries