View Single Post
Old October 10, 2006, 04:41 PM   #4
springmom

First, you need to find which airlines fly in to the area you're going. Contact each airline to find out their policy regarding shipping animals. Some airlines are really getting out of doing this. Make certain you have all the dog's vaccinations up to date, and make sure that you have COPIES of those. The airlines will want copies, I think; but if anything happens to your dog while you're there, you will need them for sure.

If your dog is not microchipped, get it done. Dogs have been known to get out of shipping crates and be gone for quite some time, and a microchip is a helpful tool once the dog is recaptured, if this were to happen.

Get a crate that is big enough, but it doesn't have to be absolutely enormously bigger than the dog. Make sure your dog gets a really good drink before he goes, but probably not food. Ask your veterinarian for more advice on how to keep your dog comfortable.

If, for some reason, you have to ship the dog on a flight separate from yours, have someone THERE to pick up the dog. Do not let the airlines hang on to the dog!

Hope that helps.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun

Page generated in 0.02964 seconds with 8 queries