View Single Post
Old March 11, 2012, 11:48 AM   #15
gak

There are always anomalies and exceptions to "rules," official or otherwise, including the barrel band criteria most of us here have agreed to (among the lever action Wins etc). Back in the Winchester XTR days (80s) there was a 7-30 Waters, round barreled, full mag tube with (traditional "carbine") front and rear barrel bands--in all other regards a standard "carbine" but 24" barrel. IIRC, USRAC repeated this theme with some similarly featured Long Trail guns later on. I would not call these "carbines" despite the fact that all criteria except barrel length (for the basic model--94--they were variants of) were met. I forget what Winchester called them, but I'd call them RWMOCLFs - "rifles with most other carbine-like features." How's that for an awkward model name? The point being, despite all those other features, in no way were they carbines IMHO. So, relative to the Winchesters discussed here, it's the *combination* of charcteristics specific to a particular model of gun. In this instance, IMO, just the presence of barrel bands and round barrels did not render these models "carbines." IOW, a long carbine is a non-sequitir. OTOH, relative to the overall size of the '86 (as an otherwise traditional Win lever), the 22" round-barreled and banded variant was a true carbine. Even though the majority of 86 rifles did not exceed 26" barrels, just like their later and smaller 94 rifle cousins, their OAL practically dictated distinctions in model nomenclature.

Page generated in 0.02325 seconds with 8 queries