View Single Post
Old March 18, 2007, 10:59 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

And another opinion favoring just spending time in the boonies, just watching.

There is lots of little stuff. Learning how to walk and search at the same time. Learning how to sit and not itch or twitch; imitating a rock or stump. Heck, you can start in a city park.

When I'm hunting-walking, I glance down very briefly, checking for my next three or four steps. For those steps, then, I'm looking out and around. Then, repeat. In the woods, go quite slowly; speed is the enemy. In open country, covering ground while looking is the goal--but you don't want to fall on your butt.

If you find a place to sit and watch, doing the ambush thing, being totally still can be difficult. I dunno; call it a Zen thing: "I am a stump." or "I am a boulder." If you're any kind of artist, a small sketch pad and pencil will have you continually looking out at the countryside but not making visible motions. That helps pass the time.

I take a paperback book along if I'm going to sit and hunt. However, I've had to work to train myself to read a couple or three lines and flick a glance over the area. It's too easy to get lost in the reading and not see critters moving around.

Guns and shooting are almost afterthoughts. It's the search and find that's the challenge. That part can only be done by spending time "Out There".

Art

Page generated in 0.02870 seconds with 8 queries