View Single Post
Old August 8, 2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Rampant_Colt

Heads-up on defensive shotshell deformation!

I was just rotating new shotshells into my shotgun and observed that the Fiocchi buckshot shells appear to be a bit "softer" and/or less rigid than Remington, Winchester and Federal shotshells.

What tipped me off is when i removed them from the magazine tube they seemed to cycle a bit slower and harder than when i first used them. Sure enough, they're slightly compressed laterally outwards making chambering and cycling the action much more difficult. I'm too tired to take comparison pics right now.. They've been loaded in there for several months now, but the crimp appears to be weakened, potentially dumping buckshot pellets into the action if cycled too vigorously with catastrophic results in an emergency situation..

If you've had shells loaded in the magazine tubeâ–¬especially hi-cap magazines for any extended amount of time, be sure to keep fresh shotshells rotated in there for safety's sake!

I bet paper shotshells don't have a very good "magazine life".. I think Wolf and S&B shotshells are weaker as well

Page generated in 0.03557 seconds with 8 queries