View Single Post
Old April 17, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
homesick

I always start out working up loads sometimes it works right off the get go other times not. Most of the time I load up light loads to sight in the rifle and then get right to work. I recently bought a 700 Rem 25-06 XCR it took over 150 rounds to find a load mostly 3 shot groups. I ended up with RL22 behind a 110 gr Accubond Nosler. I did find a load that shot under 3/4" with a 115 BT Nosler very early on but I wanted a 110 gr load. On the other hand I recently picked up a sightly used Ruger MK II 22-250 ( I know the person who bought it new) it had about 4 boxes of factory ammo thru it. This rifle shoot sub 1/2" groups right off, now I am just playing with different bullet weights and powders to see what it will do.
To try and answer part of your question about randomly picking combs to try, if it's a caliber I have had in the past, I try some old proven loads, working up to max of course. If on the other hand I have little experience I do a lot of research and much test loading. I never use forum advice unless its with in the loading manuals numbers. I average several manuals to find min. and max. loads.

Page generated in 0.04260 seconds with 8 queries