View Single Post
Old April 30, 2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Too much $$$, too much specialization...

Using a benchrest rifle for hunting is like wearing a 40# pack to go for a walk around the block. And paying extra $$ for each pound.

Sounds like it's a jeezly nice rifle, IF you were thinking of competing benchrest with it.

Since what you want is a hunting rifle, I agree heartily with Mehavey--Go to gun shows until you find a nice Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55--Even better, you may find one that is already fitted with a "hunting style" stock and a 'scope base, which destroys its collectibility, thereby reducing its price. Ignore which factory it was made in--That's a question for collectors--The Swedes insisted on the same high quality in all the Swede Mausers.

If the bolt and the safety haven't been modified you can't use a 'scope. Any good gunsmith can do those chores for you.

NICE, light, accurate rifle (hunting-accurate, mind you--The Swede is a fine military rifle but it never was meant for serious competition) built like a brick pizzeria--make that built like a Mauser, mild recoil, easy availability of ammo, easy to reload for if you do that, and best of all, you will pay LESS THAN HALF of what that benchrester would cost, even including the mods mentioned above, plus a nice 'scope for the Swede. I'd reccommend a Timney trigger, but that's about all the tweaking the Swede needs to be a fine hunting rifle, easily capable of taking everything in North America except the big bears. The Swedes use 'em to routinely hunt what we call moose, which they call "elk."

Yes, I've got one. Yes it has a 'scope. Yes it has a Timney. Yes it takes down deer like the Grim Reaper. Yes I like mine very much.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; April 30, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.02478 seconds with 8 queries