View Single Post
Old November 3, 2014, 01:41 PM   #62
HiBC

I'll say it again.Regarding penetration,velocity is over rated.

We are talking less than 200 yds in this thread.

His barrel length /velocity is not the issue.

We need enough velocity to cause the bullet to perform as designed.Thats someplace in the vicinity of 2000 fps for most common jacketed rifle hunting bullets.

It can be less if the bullet is designed for less.

With exactly the same cartridges out of the same box from the initial post.shooting the same hog in exactly the same place,the 16 or 18 in bbl likely got more,not less penetration than a higher velocity 26 in bbl would have .

A 30-30 may well have given as much penetration.

Velocity is useful,but before scopes and extended ranges,people were shooting holes through game with much lower velocity.

I have no Africa experience or expertise,but seems I heard 2200 to 2400 fps is a preferred velocity range for shooting big dangerous critters because of dependable bullet performance (penetration) in that zone.

From the 6.5 x55 heavy bullet loads,7x57 175 gr loads,30-40 200 gr loads,.303 Brit,bigger game than deer and hogs have been harvested for 100 yrs.

The velocity range of our OP's rifle will not challenge a good cup and core flat base bullet.Maybe 150 gr for his shot is a bit light,but most folks use those on ribs and lungs,not shoulders.

Myself,I don't know that I'd go to a harder light bullet,but a generic 180 flat base from Sierra,Speer,Hornady,Nosler,etc at about 2500 fps,out to 200 yds,will get business done.

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 8 queries