View Single Post
Old March 4, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
tahunua001

I agree with you on most of them, at least partially. I love enfields, especially number 4s, great sights, high capacity, good balance and not so bad triggers. I love my savage no4 and have been slowly but surely putting together a fazakerely no 4 in 45ACP, extraction is an issue and still need to fine tune the head spacing but it is dead quiet and great fun.

also own a pair of arisakas, a type 44 and type 99. the 44 is the most accurate of my milsurps hands down but for as compact of a gun as it is, it sure is heavy. the type 99 has a super gummed up bolt, like someone tried soaking it in linseed oil. boiling and vigorous cleanings have loosened it up to the point that it fires most of the time but still has light strikes from time to time. actions are nice though, butter sooth. only issue I have is the sights, the type 99 has the peep sights but are too far forward to offer much advantage over the leaf sights and the type 44 has mauser style sights that have horrible sight picture.

mausers? well the sights are horrible, even for leaf sights. the cock on open designs like the 1896 and other swedish variants have the advantage of smoother operation and speedier action than the cock on close like the much more popular 1898 actions and 6.5 is a much flatter shooting round than 8mm but mausers as a whole, I just never cared for them, US mauser inspired designs just appeal to me more for some reason.

Page generated in 0.02806 seconds with 8 queries