View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012, 02:45 PM   #14
jimkim

How many millions of rounds were handloaded with Lee loaders? Why use a press when you don't have to? Why use a FCD? Because people are different and like to do things in different ways. I like to seat and crimp in different steps. Redding also makes a dedicated crimping die. This may end up being the way to do things in just a few more years.

I don't always use it, but when there's a chance my daughter will get the ammo, I do. I've had very few rounds fail to feed or chamber, none with Lee dies, when not using a FCD. I've never had any fail to feed, or chamber, when using the FCD. This isn't that big of a concern when I'm at the range, but if there is anyway to improve the reliability of something that might end up being used to protect my daughter, I'm using it.

As far as sizing bullets is concerned, I had trouble getting a .452" sizer that actually sized to .452". I tried using my .454" sizer rather than the Lyman .452's that were sizing to .449" and .451". The FCD did size the bullets down, but when I pulled them they all measured .452", which is the diameter my XD likes. So no problems there. Since my 40 caliber bullets start at .401" there is no issue at all.

Page generated in 0.03689 seconds with 8 queries