View Single Post
Old November 21, 2011, 12:53 PM   #57
mehavey

I learned to shoot on my father's Mod70 Swift back in the mid 50s. It left an indelible impression that is part emotion and part OMG. I always wanted one, and went so far in the early 70s as to buy 100 cases in Norma brass -- knowing that the rifle to put them in was next.

But other things got in the way.... you know how it goes.

Dad rebarreled the Swift to a 243* back in the late 60s/early 70s and that that's how I inherited it it in the mid-late 80s. It sat in the gunsafe for a decade since I'd already bought my own M77V-243 and put a Unertl Ultra Varmint on it back in `73. It served me well for 30 years.

Eight years ago I did what I'd wanted for the last 40 ... re-re-barreled that Model-70 back to a Swift w/ a 26" Krieger. 4,100+ easily w/ 52gr SMKs and my show-off gun at the range to put literal-laser-edged holes in other peoples' dimes with it. (though I stick to the mid 39's for prairie dogs & ground squirrels).

Loaded properly, the Swift is unexcelled -- and not a barrel-burner by any conventional measure.

And yes, it's also emotional.
But so's a Shelby GT.

* He also re-chambered the Springfield I grew up on as well, to 300Win to give him the ultimate 2-gun North American set. I left the Springfield in 300W, but replaced the shot-out original Sprinfield barrel with a Krieger as well. It's good for a nickel w/ 165s throught 190s.

Page generated in 0.02559 seconds with 8 queries