View Single Post
Old January 26, 2001, 10:31 AM   #12
Jack Straw

amprecon...about that Ruger

Rugers can be as accurate as any other factory gun provided that you feed it what it likes. A hunting buddy and I both use .308 MKII's (both are light-weight models)-- he sticks to factory ammo, specifically the Win 150gr, and gets 1.5 inch groups with it whereas I load mine with Sierra 165 GameKings and IMR 4064. When I do my part I get .75inch groups. My point is that your Ruger is most likely just fine (look what mine can do) and the ammo is fine (as per my buddy) it is just a matter of what ammo is good in your gun.

You may not want to try several different brands and weights, but that really is the only way to find out what suits yours wants and needs (it may not even take several tries, the next thing you try could be exactly what you like). Besides, that is a good thing. It means more time with the gun and it is a great way to collect brass for when you do start to reload. On top of that, the brass will be fire-formed to your chamber which means you can neck-size and avoid a bunch of messy case lubing (sorry, just some personal bias bleeding through). Another thing, .308 ammo is plentiful and inexpensive so fnding and affording a variety shouldn't be a problem.

Jack

Page generated in 0.03450 seconds with 8 queries