View Single Post
Old June 13, 2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Glenn Dee

198ster is correct.

The NYPD did not issue service revolvers. They had to be purchased by the individual officer when hired. Depending when you were hired you may have been required to carry your firearm at all times after being sworn in. About 1973 this changed, and the firearms were released after the rookie attending the PAFTS course and qualification. Usually towards the end of the Academy.

The NYPD may have used colt police positives.. but that would have been a long long time ago. I've never seen one in service. Although I have seen the holster for one... Pretty neat. It was actually a pocket holster with a belt loop, and a security strap. The belt went through the loop, and the holster was stuck into the back pocket. Like carrying the little gun in your back pocket.

When I was hired the list for authorized service revolvers was...

1) S&W Model 10 4" heavy, or standard barrel.
2) Colt official police.
3) Colt metropolitan Mk III in .38spl.

The requirement was for an all blue steel, 6 shot revolver, with fixed sights, and a 4" barrel in .38 spl ONLY!!!

I chose the S&W heavy barrel.

Sometime in the eighties they also accepted the Ruger service six in the above configuration. Shortly after they authorized stainless steel guns in the Ruger service six, and the S&W 64.

With the advent of new hiring standards resulting is a huge rash of N/D's they began authorizing only DAO firearms for new hires... and wouldnt let them have em until the day before graduation. These dao guns were available, and acceptable in several different configurations. Either Ruger Service six, or S&W 64 in any combination of round or squair butt, 3 or 4" barrel... but had to be DAO.

And so it was... until the transition to auto pistols... And the N/D's began...

Page generated in 0.02738 seconds with 8 queries