View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
MSD Mike

I had an interesting result with this. After my post earlier today I loaded up 50 rounds like this and went to try it out. I guess a little history lesson is in order. The revolver is a Smith Model 19 that I have always struggled with leading on. The only load that hasn’t leaded in the past is the standard 2.8 grains of BE under a 148 GR HBWC. I could shoot hundreds with no leading. All other lead bullets leaded the bore. I have reamed the throats to .358 and slugged the bore at .357and still had leading problems with all other 38 and 357 lead bullet loads from mild to wild. Always using .358 bullets. Anyway, I recently started casting and have been trying Lee's 148 grain TL WC bullet cast from pure WW ans sized to .358, 3gr Bull’s-Eye seated flush with the case mouth and it is accurate for 20 -30 rounds then the leading sets in. Today I loaded up 50 (same charge) with the bullet seated so it was in the throat when loaded and wala, no more leading. So the question is... Did it not lead because the bullet was better aligned with the throat; the velocity was lower due to the increase space in the case, the bullet wasn’t swaged down in the brass or for some other reason. Anyway, more testing is in order.
For the record, this load will only chamber in a cylinder that has throats that measures .358. I reamed mine to this size.
Anyway, it doesn’t take much to entertain me but I think there is a lesson in here somewhere. I just have to figure out what it is.

Thanks
Mike

Page generated in 0.02457 seconds with 8 queries