View Single Post
Old December 6, 2004, 02:17 PM   #27
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Cag-
It's called SWAT because that was what Chuck Taylor named it in the early 80's. Just as Soldier of Fortune hardly caters to the Murder-for-Hire group, a magazine called "Special Weapons and Tactics" need not concern itself exclusively with SRT units in the new millennium. It is what we choose it to be; it's named what we choose to name it; it survives or fails on what the public thinks of it.

You are correct that most of SWAT's readers do not carry a badge....including the 30% that wear a military uniform. But I'm still missing your point. Are you suggesting that the ratio of "bump fire bozos" is somehow greater in non-police circles than among those with a badge? If so, I'd really like to know what process of Natural Selection automatically raises a man's intellect upon graduating from the academy and pinning a patch of base metal to his chest?

As to "LE Tactics", there are very few that I consider sacrosanct, especially when so many come originally from the (apparent) dregs of "civilian" marksmanship and training. Husbands and wives should be exposed to Team Tactics. Responsible shooters should know how to clear a corner, reload from cover, shoot from the confines of a drivers seat and disarm an opponent.

I'm not at all worried about the criminal element learning about the "One Secret Police Tactic That Is Certain To Work Under All Circumstances". I'm far more concerned about those on our side of the barricade (in and out of uniform) who believe such tactics exist....or that they can ever take the place of professional training and practice.

Were I to be as concerned as you about feeding valuable info to the bad guys, I'd shut this site down today. There's more practical value to be gleaned from a careful read of these threads than can ever be imparted in a standard Police Academy.

Information isn't the enemy.....people who misuse it are. Lucky for us, most criminals (by nature) are inherently lazy. They simply don't train.
Rich Lucibella
Publisher
S.W.A.T. Magazine
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02627 seconds with 8 queries