View Single Post
Old June 23, 2005, 04:04 PM   #2
sm

That'll Work.

I'm a poor boy, I haven't graduated to rifled bbls, scopes, don't own any camo, and I still smoke and drink coffee whilst out looking for critters. I still use the old HP lead slugs out of a smoothbore.Shotguns are wood and blue- I mean I gots to maintain my reputation and all

Makes no nevermind. What is important is the gun fits YOU. You like the gun , know its controls, the scope is such it will not cut you upon firing, allows for you to mount gun to face , bringing the scope into play without having to get all contorted -every time.

Ammo: get a selection and figure on the longest yardage you figure you will be shooting. Shoot groups and determine what YOUR gun likes best.

It ain't cheatin' if it works - called ingenuity

So if you know the area - for instance will be using the same stands, put some markers out and about and you will know for sure the distance. Since you have practiced ( correct?) at known distances - you know your skills limits and at what range you are proffiecient.

What a bbl, choke, or box of ammo is marked - don't mean squat - what the pattern board defines is what matters. YOUR gun and ITS loads are more important than what someone else uses or what someone on the Internet says. These are fine for references and starting points.

Once the load is found, buy a bunch of that lot and practice.

A lot of good practice can be done by unloading that gun, checking thrice and each day mount and dry fire 25 times a day. Work up to 100 repetitons of Correct mounting gun to face. I assure having the correct basics ingrained, the stamina built up will go a long ways in making one a better shooter.

If one is using a smoothbore bbl, adding the practice with shooting light target loads in addition is good for shooting paper plates , heck even clays at shorter distance to replicate the target at longer ranges.

HTH, Have fun and yes I do accept backstraps as donations.

Steve

Page generated in 0.02624 seconds with 8 queries