View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Winchester_73

Quote:
your garand is in much nicer shape than the one described. also I kind of hate you the only non sporterized 1917 I've been able to find has actually been sitting in the same pawnshop for the last 6 months for $900 with a cracked handguard and shot out bore.
Since you hate me, I will tell you the true story of how I acquired that P17 in that photo. I was nebbing around craigslist one day about 2 years ago and responded to a reloading ad. In those days, before I used gunbroker, I would ask if people if they had guns because the more hooks you throw out, the more you can reel in. The guy said he had some guns he wanted to sell. Many were ho-hum, marlin 30-30, mauser 270, Savage in like 257 roberts, then he says he has a 30-06 Enfield. Oh what do you want for that I say. He goes "how about $180, thats what I paid for it in 1989" and no, he was not some guy with Alzheimers, nor was he someone who stole the guns, he was just some honest guy that said he had fallen on hard times. I ended up giving him $180 for that, a ground down mauser 98k bayonet and a crappy Imperial fighting knife. I later sold that P17 for about $375 because it had some problems, but I wasn't complaining. It had a stock from a P14 someone told me AND the barrel was a JA aka Johnson Automatics. I later got another one with an original Eddystone barrel for $350. It has some wear, but its a WWI veteran for God's sake, so I give it a break. The first one was not a great shooter but the second one is. I read that the rebuild barrels had a different amount of grooves and did not shoot as well as the WWI originals.

That above story is 100% true too, believe it or not. That Smith Corona was also traded. I have the garand still though, I have to have at least one.

Last edited by Winchester_73; July 20, 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.02175 seconds with 8 queries