View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
SVTCobra306

Back before the 580 series, you could get a "Mini 14 Ranch" or just a "Mini 14". The only difference was that the Ranch Rifle had integral scope mount bases on the upper receiver, and maybe a difference in the open sights because the non-Ranch version didn't have the factory scope provision, and supposedly the Ranch had a different extractor that pitched rounds at a lower angle to avoid hitting the scope.. either they forgot that on mine or it didn't work LOL.

A few years ago they started marketing all of them as Ranch Rifles, and I'm presuming they dropped the version without the scope bases. They probably got tired of machining two different receivers for the same rifle, and I would imagine the non-Ranch didn't sell as well and got cut for cost saving purposes.

The Ranch rifles, at least as far back as 1998 when I bought mine new, had "Ruger RANCH RIFLE CAL. .223" on the receiver. Dad has a non-Ranch from the early 90's that has "Ruger MINI 14 CAL. .223" on it.

As far as I know, the Tactical comes with a flash hider and a 20 round magazine, where the regular Ranch Rifle comes with a 5 rounder and no flash hider. I'm not sure about barrel lengths between the two.

Page generated in 0.03188 seconds with 8 queries