View Single Post
Old January 26, 2001, 08:28 AM   #2
rhetor

I'm no expert on formal competition and I've never owned an Anschutz rifle (I admit to lusting after several), but I do own a Marlin 2000L. What I can say is that as far as informal target shooting goes the Marlin is more than adequate. I bought this rifle four years ago to introduce my son to shooting and it has served that purpose well. It has, since it was purchased, been capable of one hole groups at 25 yards (from a rest) all day long. For a beginning target shooter, the Marlin will probably serve quite well.

However, if your son is a real talent, as you suspect, investing in the more expensive Anschutz might be a better choice. Anschutz makes many.22 target rifles, however, and choosing a model within their product line will depend on your finances and how serious and talented your son is. When you find that coach you're looking, for I'm sure he'll have some sound advice about which rifle is most appropriate to start with. If you don't belong to a rifle club, seek one out that sponsors small bore matches; you'll get to see what the equipment requirements are and probably find out what your options are in the coach department too.

My own choice would be to get the less expensive Marlin first and see how serious your son is about formal competion. If after a couple years he is still interested and is ready to move up, I'd buy the Anschutz at that time. Regardless of your choice, in the end what you'll remember about all of this is the time you spent with your son introducing him to an enjoyable, lifelong pursuit.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.03737 seconds with 8 queries