View Single Post
Old July 16, 2002, 05:16 PM   #10
Najdorf

Skorzeny,

Since BJJ has weight classes, I don't think you can say they don't think weight matters between people of similiar skill. Their statements, though going too far, are more a thing of outside the top levels of Jiu-Jitsu and Judo, there aren't many people of similiar skill. Thus, it rarely would matter except to delay the outcome. Rather than add all those caveats, they just say weight doesn't matter, even though it can.

You only have to look at the results of modern no rules events to realize that there is a difference (decreasing every day due to cross training as stated above). One fight from 50 years ago involving a 130 pounder tells us far less than countless modern fights in which BJJ fighters who train for no rules, do significantly better than Judo guys who don't normally train for no rules. Of course BJJ guys who only train for competition can have the same problem in part because they don't focus on no-rules techniques. There has been continuous evolution for no-rules fighting. They learn from every fight and develop counters to things that gave them problems, or new techniques tried against them. I doubt Joe Moreira would say that BJJ no rules techniques haven't significantly evolved in the last 50 years, but I believe that if he did he would be disputed by everyone in the know. I trained with many instructors and fighters even more well known than him who said the opposite. I've been present countless times when new ideas or techniques were found and tried, and if they worked incorporated. There is a lot of overlap- but its not the same as Judo, and not the same as BJJ of 50 years ago.

Page generated in 0.02356 seconds with 8 queries