View Single Post
Old February 17, 2014, 10:17 AM   #18
NavyChief

Mr. Handlerer2

I really appreciate your taste in a quality rifle such as a Cooper but I am just flat out jealous over the cartridge. I have always wanted a rifle in that wonderful chambering. I consider it to be the original short magnum. I remember when I first read about one and saw that the round would push a 130 grain Ballistic Tip around 3100 fps with a B/C nearly .500 and compared it to my trusted favorite, 270 Winchester, and found that while my 270 will achieve those velocities in that weight, the B/C for the 270 bullet falls short at .433 for the Nosler ballistic tip. Don't get me wrong, I still believe the 270 Win is probably the best all around cartridge where I grew up in Oklahoma, unless you want to side with the 280 Remington and I'll not argue that point with anyone, but the 6.5 likely has both beat by a little if numbers are a big thing. Performance in the field has proven the 6.5 is a flat out deer and pronghorn killing machine that pulls double duty as one of the best predator rounds when you load up some 100 or 120 grain pills and push them at 3600 and 3300 fps respectively. I have no idea why more manufacturers didn't chamber, advertise, and promote the round. I haven't owned one yet because I am waiting for the right gun to come along and if I could find one of those beautiful Coopers with the right wood, I would be all in. I'll find one eventually and I hope I have to re-barrel it when I am done from the use it will see. Just curious if you handload for the round? I figure it is likely that you do and was hoping you might pass along some info about the best brass you have found for the cartridge and maybe any favorite loads for coyote and whitetail that you use. I do have a beautiful Kimber stock I purchased from a fellow who sold the wood and barrel from a 8400 WSM action for a wildcat project. I ended up with a great piece of Claro Walnut that would be perfect for a 6.5 project on a Kimber action. He ended up with a 6.5 essentially sitting on a 300 WSM case. WOW! Addiction to speed is a beautiful thing..... I would appreciate any insight on components for the cartridge if you wouldn't mind and I'll just bite my lip to control the jealousy until I can find the right 6.5 or perhaps just assemble my own. Thanks, Jim

Page generated in 0.02210 seconds with 8 queries