View Single Post
Old November 13, 2010, 01:24 PM   #35
MikeNice81

Quote:
Actually, I like to be able to fire as soon as I clear the holster, because I may not have the full use of both hands (ie, pushing wife/child away, fighting off attacker, etc).
This is what I've been trying to practice. I have been told by a couple of retired cops to present the muzzle as soon as it clears leather.

It was also the prefered method of Captains Fairbairn and Sykes. Both of whom survived their share of gun fights. They also taught a lot of people how to survive close quarters gun fights. Their methods had a good showing in the Shanghai police department.

Their teachings come from the school of thought, if it takes you more than a third of a second to get off the first shot, "you will not be the one to tell the newspapers about it."

Their recomendation was drawing to a "three-quarter hip" position and firing a two or three shot burst. If you could keep groups under 6" at 3 yards it was time to move the target back a yard. (I believe they were using 2" .45LC revolvers for plain clothes work.) They practiced a lot at 4 yards because of their cramped urban enviroment. I would recomend going out to 7 yards based on current FBI testing and training.

I guess my point is, get the shot off as fast as possible while staying accurate. If that means pulling to the pectoral muscle and then firing, fine, However, dropping the elbow, and presenting the muzzle, directly after clearing leather is a fast and well proven method as well.

It is hard at first but mainly because we all practiced a different way for so long. I believe it is a valid way to practice though because, as the Captains said, it is literally a matter of the quick and the dead.

Page generated in 0.03194 seconds with 8 queries