View Single Post
Old January 20, 2014, 12:06 PM   #25
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverdill
...the possibility of accidental discharge while drawing...
That's why you gotta practice. Empty gun. Ammo and magazines in another room. Double check that the gun is empty. Triple check. If you get distracted or interrupted, check again. That finger should be indexed along the frame above the trigger guard until you are on target. When you grip the gun, your finger should be laid straight along the outside of the holster.

Booger hook off that bang switch. Any time you are handling that gun when you are not about to shoot.

Read that again.

That needs to become ingrained in your mind. It should happen naturally. It will carry over to when you pick up a drill or a bottle of Windex. It'll make you laugh when that happens.

When you are finished and ready to load up the gun, say it out loud if it helps. "I'm finished practicing, and am reloading." After that, don't fiddle with it.

Not trying to preach, just trying to help a brother out. Some lessons come harder than others. Something about learning from other folk's mistakes rather that your own. I will readily admit to complacency and being in a hurry ended up with a .32 caliber hole in my mattress. You don't forget something like that. I know my wife won't let me. Rightfully so. I think she just wants changing the sheets to be a "me" thing instead of an "us" thing.

Just saw your edit. Good for you for asking questions before launching into this. That's a good habit to get into. Good luck, and find you a nice piece. Then, pictures!

Last edited by 9mmfan; January 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.02373 seconds with 8 queries