Thread: Hunting Critics
View Single Post
Old October 12, 2009, 11:31 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems to me that the point of the OP is the bum-rapping of hunting styles and methods which are different from what somebody is accustomed to.

We've had numerous threads here through the years where folks get all emotional against hunting with dogs or being a sitting-hunter in a stand, as examples.

One facet of huiman nature is a distrust or dislike of anything which is different from that to which one is accustomed. Examples: You won't lend $20 to somebody you don't know. You check out a new neighbor before really opening up to him about your own life. You play wait and see before really being comfortable working with a new boss or new co-worker.

Same sort of pattern in hunting. Some folks grow up where hunting deer or bear with dogs is legal and the land areas are large enough that the dogs don't bother local-area residents. Others, from different locale, think it's bad. Okay, think that way, but don't go bad-mouthing the other guy.

If a guy has but maybe only one four-day period in a year and little background in hunting, why would you talk against his paying for a guided hunt with some sort of guarantee? He's doing the best he can under his circumstances.

I'd rather walk and stalk than sit in a stand. But I've hunted places where you can't do the walk and stalk thing and expect to see a buck. Forget it. The only success comes from being high enough to look down into the brush--and in fairly flat land with thick brush, there's no alternative to a high stand.

IOw, I don't bad-mouth "different".

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 8 queries