View Single Post
Old July 6, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Slamfire

I think your loads are hot. For a 30-06 gas gun I would use 47.5 grains IMR 4895 with a 150. In my Garands this load duplicates GI ball velocities. High pressure loads that are max in a bolt rifle will just beat up this semi auto.

I don't own a M742 but I really doubt it has any sort of compensating gas system.

As for powders, you will have a hard time beating IMR 4895. There are IMR 4895 equivalents if you want to try them, H4895, AA2495. These are very close to IMR 4895 in burn rate, actually AA2495 is Accurate Arms copy of 4895, but stupidly they call it 2495 and confuse everyone.

I reloaded for a bud's M742, it was not a target rifle. For this hunting rifle function should be your highest priority, if it shoots within 2 inches that is good enough for a hunting rifle.

I recommend that you buy a cartridge headspace gage and full length resize your cases to gage minimum. Trim your cases, prime all cases by hand so you don't have any high primers, seat your bullets to magazine depth or less, and go shoot the thing.

The recommendation to keep the chamber clean is 100% sound. This is a semi auto matic mechanism and if you don't keep the mechanism clean and free of gunk you will experience malfunctions. Some are more tolerant than others, but it is not worth wasting a hunting oppurtunity due to a dirty rifle.

Clean and oiled will reduce wear, also loading moderate loads with fast burning powders.

This might be of interest:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...7407427400.htm

Page generated in 0.02640 seconds with 8 queries