View Single Post
Old September 1, 2010, 03:15 PM   #14
BlueTrain

I think it was a good question. Most of my handguns had fixed sights and the revolver sights were there to stay. Likewise, most of my "action" shooting was also with fixed sights and I was pretty satisfied with the results. I even tried to be "old fashioned" in style, even using older revolvers, and I never felt at all handicapped. But I sure didn't have the racer's edge, so to say.

If you read much about trick shooting from a speed standpoint, they will claim to have used the sights. No doubt they did and some turned in exceptional shooting. But it comes back to what "point shooting" really is and, what is acceptable accuracy. Read all you can about the subject and you will discover that different people have different ideas about it. But none ever suggest removing the rear sights. Basically you have to work out your own solutions to your own problems.

There have been a couple of novel ideas with regards to sights. Back when S&W Model 39s were a hot item, some enterprising people cut them down for concealment purposes. Along with other alterations, there was something that amounted to little more than a tapered groove added to serve as a sight. It doesn't seem to have caught on but it was an interesting notion. Someone else suggested various training aids like taping the sights or variations on that theme to help in building up skill in point shooting, or really, using a handgun without the sights. I don't know if it would help or not but it's an idea.

What sort of handgun are we talking about anyway?
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03162 seconds with 8 queries