View Single Post
Old May 2, 2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Bud Helms

It's obvious some of us know something about taking a photo. I only dabbled in it as a hobby while overseas back in the late seventies, early eighties. I learned a lot in a short time. PDBreske's comments are those of a pro. He plays by the rules and excels in his own entries. PDBreske, Claybrook, Doogle and others in that class compete against their own last, best effort. That's the road to excellence.

If I presented a 1911 against an appropriate backdrop as a subject and let 50 members here supply their own lighting and take pictures with their own cameras, we'd get 50 photos different enough to have a field of 50 entries. So, the rule: "Make your photo image about the subject of your entry. It is permitted to submit an action photo, but the objective here is a static, clear photo of a firearm at rest." is not intended to limit the choices you have. We've been pretty lenient in that vein.

But PDBreske's comments do illustrate that he has no fear of competing while restricting himself to the letter of the rules. After all, getting more meaning out of a static shot than a mere, "this is a gun", is a measure of your creativity and artistry. Wouldn't you say?

Page generated in 0.03149 seconds with 8 queries