View Single Post
Old February 28, 2013, 11:21 AM   #34
Ruger45LC

I would point out that I mentioned the 5.3" G35 to the 4.6" G20 because both are factory options, there is no factory longslide 10mm. However I typically compare 6" 10mm to 6" .40, but the same comparison could be made with a 4.5" G22 and a 4.6" G20. Not only is 1200 is possilbe in a G22, it can be done in the shorter 4" G23. It's my opinion that 1200 fps is plenty for any 180gr JHP, as moving it faster is only typically going to hurt penetration and the extra energy you do get isn't going to be the deciding factor in overall effectiveness, but less penetration could be.

I agree that the a revolver is going to be heavier, but if it's power you want, that's the price that has to be paid. Unless you're bad off, most aren't going to fatigue carrying around any handgun all day long, 1lb or so isn't that great of a difference. The point I'm trying to make is simple, comparing a warm 10mm to a warm .40 is only going to give you about 7-8% increase in velocity using the same bullet. That's not enough to make the difference between certain kill vs. no kill. By going up in caliber and weight you gain a lot more than just a slight bump up in velocity. From a 6" barrel:

Page generated in 0.04804 seconds with 8 queries