View Single Post
Old August 10, 2014, 08:35 AM   #48
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS
What class would that be? PA law does not require you to disclose to an officer that you are carrying.
Nonetheless, some instructors tell their students that it's always "better" to disclose. In fact, Mas Ayoob "stars" as the cop in a video with Tom Gresham showing how to conduct yourself in a traffic stop, and the video teaches us to disclose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVReVYMLH7E

PA doesn't require training, but the woman had taken some training -- which is something pretty much all of us advocate. We don't know what her instructor(s) taught regarding duty to disclose or advisability of disclosing, but it's certainly very possible that she was taught to do so.

There are some odd and even unlawful notions out there, even among people who should know better. Just as one example, a couple of years ago I sat through a class taught by a police sergeant from a nearby local department. This man had over 20 years experience and had been with the same department for 19 years. He was also the officer in charge of the final on-the-job training for new recruits coming out of the academy.

He stated flat out that open carry is illegal in our state. Of course, it isn't, so -- being the curmudgeon that I am, I raised my hand a told him that he was wrong. He didn't scream at me, but he was visibly "unhappy" at being challenged and he did some fancy verbal footwork to try to acknowledge that, although I was right, he was also right. What it boiled down to is that he teaches his officers to arrest open carriers on that old standby charge, "creating a public disturbance."

Maybe the class she took was taught by a cop or an ex-cop. They always want us to tell them up front, even in places where it isn't required. It makes their job easier and safer -- for them.

We don't know. Her story is not implausible.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; August 10, 2014 at 08:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.02382 seconds with 8 queries