View Single Post
Old October 20, 2000, 08:00 PM   #1
LASur5r

This is just food for thought...pause for the cause...you know.

Before the county closed them up, in soCal we had a bunch of outdoor ranges that we could go to and practice with anything your little heart desired...short of non- PC targets.
One day, my friend and I wanted to practice shotgun and long gun besides our usual handgun practice. This particular range consisted of a long hill for backstop, about 100 yards to the dirt road and that's it. Most shooters pulled their car off the dirt road so that the little rolling hills blocked you from seeing the next group. Good arrangement for a long time.
By this time we always kept one extra handgun apiece loaded and at least one long gun and a shotgun loaded just in case. One guy practiced while the other guy watched for mistakes and also to check our six from time to time.
My friend had just practiced his string when I noticed a car slowing down on the dirt road. I alerted my friend...he quickly slipped a new loaded magazine into his handgun.
The car stopped and the driver jumped out with a scoped long gun in his right hand. I took one glance to see if the bolt was opened..it was not! and this person wrapped his sling on his left arm.
I said quietly, "Cover."
My friend went for the shotgun leaning against the front of my car while I picked up my scoped Ruger.308 and got behind the rear tire.
I challenged the dude to halt and he seemed confused, but he stopped...turned out he was from another country and he just wanted to see what we were shooting and he wanted to try his SAKO with my Ruger.
My friend kept the dude "covered" while the guy tried my Ruger and I held his SAKO.
We explained that he should talk to some folks from his local range to learn range etiquette...but he left with a little happy smile, but still a puzzled look on his face.

Methinks, he didn't get it, but when I got home I checked my shorts. I certainly did not want to try a duel with .308's at 30 paces.

Page generated in 0.04962 seconds with 8 queries