View Single Post
Old February 22, 2012, 01:32 PM   #24
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
A warning shot is deadly force. If the situation merits deadly force than you should not be shooting warning shots.
Really? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
I'm in the camp of those that see no purpose whatsoever to warning shots. Either your life is in danger or its not.

I'm in the camp that every situation is unique and dynamic and that you have to respond to the circumstances as they unfold. A preset script is a recipe for disaster.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's a continuum of action/force:

Threatening to use a gun,
unholstering and pointing a gun at a person,
actually shooting the gun,
hitting the target, and finally
if the target dies from the hit.

Each of these acts can get you charges; each more serious as you go up the continuum. You only need justification for the force that you used.

In this situation the shooter only needs to justify the threat of use, pointing the gun, and discharging a "warning shot." Which is much better than if he had actually shot the burglar. Was he justified, I believe so. Was it the smartest option probably not, but we weren't there. Nobody got hurt or killed, the burglar was arrested, all seems well unless the DA wants to send a message about doing your own "police work."

That said, if the perp doesn't respond to verbal cues and a weapon pointed at him, then it's probably time to be COM. In MOST cases a warning shot is usually a waste of good ammo; ammo that you might have an urgent need for later.

Page generated in 0.02553 seconds with 8 queries