View Single Post
Old February 5, 2012, 03:32 AM   #10
Kyo

meatsaw, don't do anything until you get a micrometer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Stainless-...item1c2365a0a5
they are as cheap as 10 bucks shipped to you. please invest in the 10 bucks and don't break your gun/hand/whatever else from doing it wrong.
I am sure you read the instructions on how to adjust the die, what you need to NOT DO is ESTIMATE correct OAL.
Here are some steps because I have the EXACT same press. I just load 45's.
1. get a reloading manual. I picked up lee's for 20 bucks. its a freaking steal cause others cost 50-200 for no reason...
2. order you a caliper.
3. read the book, mainly the section on what type of bullet you are using, whether it be lead, FMJ. also mind the weight of said type of bullet. different weights and types have different needs in powder.
4. take 1 casing with a SPENT primer, and do not put powder in it. Then take 1 bullet and put the bullet into the casing using the press. Adjust your OAL die all the way out. The bullet should be slightly in the case.
5. Measure the OAL of bullet/casing with your caliper.
6. here's the tricky part- every gun is different. I learned that for my .45 the OAL was supposed to be between 2 numbers. a max and a min. if you read the reloading manual it WILL give you both. You have to figure out what runs in your gun best. For example, for my .45 I keep a OAL of 1.230-1.245 inches.
7. Go with the max OAL, and then TEST that round in your weapon. Make sure the slide closes all the way(this was my test for my gun) and if its too short the extractor won't grab it correctly.
8. go lower on the die if you need to, using the same bullet until it fits in your weapon the way you want it to. thats the beauty of reloading.
9. please don't load without a manual and a caliper. otherwise you will blow your hand off, and im not exaggerating here in any way.

edit- although sport45's way makes sense, you should realize factory rounds will have different bullets and different makes. I tested this myself with different kinds such as golden sabers vs hornady XTP's. different OAL. Depending on what type and weight(because the heavier it is, the more there is on the bottom side to push into the bullet) it will all change.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page generated in 0.03779 seconds with 8 queries