View Single Post
Old December 10, 2005, 01:40 PM   #76
Glenn E. Meyer

It's all statistical decision theory - what risk to you want to take?

1. You shoot an innocent who seemingly is acting suspiciously
2. You let a terrorist or mentally disturbed person carry out an extreme action.

What are your criteria for deciding when to act.

I would also point out that memories after the fact are extremely fragile and subject to reconstruction. While police certainly have lied about incidents and framed people - one can discern motivation. Sometimes it is to solve cases and up their seeming success ratio.

However, what is motivation of the marshalls to take an action such as this without good reason?

I would trust their decision processes more than that of an individual who boasted about 'being ready to break necks'.

The man clearly was acting in a bizaare fashion. Just getting off a plane in today's world is not normal - one could contact the flight crew if there was a real reason. Memories of who heard what will be difficult to parse, esp. with witnesses such as Mr. I will Break Your Neck.

You need an investigation with folks cognizant of the decision factors as happened in the Diallo case. Ranting here based on such little evidence is really worthless.

I might be wrong when the evidence comes in but I can't fault the marshalls on first glance. I could be wrong but we will see.

Page generated in 0.02714 seconds with 8 queries