View Single Post
Old January 5, 2012, 03:11 PM   #15
45_auto

Quote:
I am a firm believer, that if someone has a gun pointed at you, and you are carrying, the advantage is in your court. I think you can draw and fire before the bandit can shoot his gun he already has out

A little demonstration we run the first week of every training class demonstrates how wrong you are. It's easy to duplicate if you want to verify it.

I have an officer point his weapon downrange with his finger on the trigger (weapon cocked if it's DA/SA). Hold a shot timer up next to his ear. All he has to do is shoot when he hears the beep. No target, nothing to hit, just shoot at the berm.

Fastest reaction time I've ever seen is .12 of a second. Slowest is just over 1/4 second. Never seen anyone over .30, most people are between .20 and .25.

So even a slow robber will have a reaction time around 1/3 of a second. If you can draw your concealed weapon and get off a shot in less than .30 of a second, you need to be putting Bob Munden out of business doing demos.

You'll also find that most people can easily do splits (time between shots) of .15 to .20 seconds.

That means that 1/3 of a second after you start to draw, your opponent will put his first shot into your chest, and .20 seconds later, his second shot will be in your chest.

Not to hard to demonstrate. Most smart phones can download a shot timer app. Do a few draw strokes and shots from concealment and see what your best time is. Typical times for a draw and first shot from a hip holster (no retention features, not concealed) are just over a second.

You may find the results of the test below interesting. A suspect already holding a gun in his hand and bringing it up is about equal to the reaction time of the cop already pointing a gun at him. No need to even try the experiment with the suspect's gun in the holster, it wouldn't be close.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2011/06/...hooting-study/

Last edited by 45_auto; January 5, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.02472 seconds with 8 queries