View Single Post
Old February 12, 2014, 02:46 AM   #19
BDM 9MM

New shooter

Welcome to our sport. I hope your stay is long and provides you as much enjoyment it has me.

1. Take some instructions as soon as you can. It is easier to learn the correct way to handle a handgun than to correct bad habits.

2. See if you can find a local range or club to join. You will learn a lot just being around experienced shooters.

3. I feel the best way to learn is to shoot slow fire from 10-15 yds. Each time you practice the basic steps of shooting - stance, site picture, grip, breathing, trigger pull and follow through. This stage will also get you to understand the function of your firearm. Your goal is to get your shot group centered and tight.

4. After you can place consistent groups on paper at the 10-15 yd range it is time to work on increasing your speed at that distance.

5. Once your speed has picked up a little change your targets to one with multiple aim points instead one bull. An example would be five circles - one in the center, and others at 12, 3, 6 & 9 hour positions. Again, start slow and work up to fast.

6. Start moving your targets out to 15, 20 &25 yds. Shoot for accuracy first, second speed and then lastly multiple targets.

7. By the time you are proficient at the 25 yd line you will be ready to design you own course of fire to hone your skills further. From there some participate in the various shooting games and others go to hard core defense training.

8. Do it at your own pace, stay safe and have fun. It's a fun ride!

I hope this helps.
The Strawstalker, behind enemy lines in Liberal Colorado.

Page generated in 0.03592 seconds with 8 queries