View Single Post
Old August 26, 2013, 10:37 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What I am doing is responding to a question asked earlier.
I realize that. I just asked you a couple more questions.

You justified pointing a loaded rifle at someone by equating them with the targets you were presented during police operations. I asked for clarification to determine if you really believe a potentially hostile target encountered in a drug raid is really the same as a hunter who may be trespassing.

You justified pointing a loaded rifle at someone by equating that action with sweeping yourself with a holstered carry gun. I asked for clarification to determine if you really believe that pointing a loaded rifle at someone was really the same as sweeping yourself with a holstered carry gun.

I see you neglected to respond to either one.
Quote:
What people committing crimes want is really the least of my worries.
I don't know your location, but in some areas, pointing a loaded gun at someone is a crime. That would put you in exactly the same category as the trespasser.
Quote:
I can with a very high degree of certainty eliminate beyond any reasonable probability that a target is a human using the naked eye. If the target demonstrates a high probability to disappear quickly, I usually make final identification of it with the scope. I have enough confidence in my ability to identity with the naked eye and with my equipment that I see the risk of harming a trespasser as near impossible.
I'm sure you believe that is true. However, people are shot by accident while hunting every year, many even after they have been observed through a scope.

The safety rules are there for all of us, not just other people. Not just for those who aren't trained as well as we are. Not just for those who aren't as experienced or aren't as confident of their own capabilities as we are.

It's precisely when we start thinking that we're too well trained, too smart, to experienced, to have to follow the rules--when we begin to be so confident in our own abilities that we don't need to adhere to the safety rules that tragedies happen. And your bluster notwithstanding, shooting someone for trespassing would be a tragedy.

Page generated in 0.02242 seconds with 8 queries