View Single Post
Old June 23, 2012, 02:33 AM   #15
tdawe

Wow! What a learning curve that still is curving!

[SIZE="4"]I have recently purchased a "Hornady Super Sonic Cleaner" (Sounds like a cartoon, huh?) Anyway I have learned that you MUST use distilled water when cleaning. It's about .80 cents a gallon in Michigan. If you don't and go with regular water you will get "Blotches" on your brass. Something your Doctor can't cure. You may rinse in hot tap water. I then set them on an old bath towel in the sun to dry. I have learned that most commercial brass cleaners are made from strengthened Citric Acid. Most likely dehydrated Citric Acid. Although it does have another chemical, but I am not sure yet what that is yet.
Now, the Sonic Cleaner has done its' job, however if you want your brass to look "Factory" new, I suggest a one hour tumble in corn cob media with appropriate liquid polish additive.
I am still trying to find out the number of cases per caliber I can clean at once. For right now, I dump cases in the basket until just below the water line. I then fill with cleaning agent (2 ounces with a standard liquid measuring cup. Then bring it to the water line with distilled water. There all sorts of commentary in internet land for time and temperature. Personally, no matter what the cartridge size I use 145 f, 10 minutes. let sit and stir casings around a bit, then repeat 10 minutes @ 145. BEWARE!
The Citric Acid bath will cause skin irritation! I learned the hard way. Treat it as if it were caustic (which it is) and use plastic gloves. My wife works at an ER and sometimes those gloves do expire. She brings them home for me. I would prefer now to use dish washing gloves. They protect better than surgical gloves against the 145-150 degree hot water. I just have to find some that will fit a size 8 hand. I am 6'5" and hard to fit for any type of clothing/accessories.
I hope all this helps some. Don't depend on Hornady for any instructions! You will not get them. I emailed the company and have not heard back from them.
Good Luck!
Terry

Last edited by tdawe; June 23, 2012 at 02:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.02816 seconds with 8 queries