View Single Post
Old December 24, 2013, 09:09 PM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
Same guy. ALWAYS drags his deer to the power line right of way that runs smack dab through the middle of the property, backs his truck up there...and guts them leaving the gut pile right out in the open. I'm superstitious about this and believe it should always be buried. BOTH times he's done that it has been 1st or 2nd week of firearms. Not another single deer seen the rest of the seasons.

Am I crazy?
I've never found a gut pile to distract deer. Animals die all the time in the wild and other scavengers rip them open leaving the dead animals innards exposed. Actually, I've gutted deer on a morning hunt, went back out the same evening only to watch deer come out to sniff and even nibble a little out of the pile. Course if the hunter is leaving a lot of human scent (IE cig. smoke) in the area of the gut pile and the deer are not accustom to smelling it then that may present a problem for an 'ole weary buck'.

Strange smells of any kind affect deer if they are not accustomed to smelling them. If you hunt a large area that is not hunted or very seldom has human activity and the deer are not used to smelling cig. smoke, exhaust fumes etc. it's been my experience that you are probably not doing yourself any favor by stinking the place up with these odors.

On the contrary, deer around most suburban parks that smell these same odors on a regular basis don't think a thing about them.

Page generated in 0.03328 seconds with 8 queries