View Single Post
Old April 4, 2013, 06:40 PM   #13
snuffy

Quote:
You shouldn't have to excessively tighten the collet.

The whole point of having it is that if something goes wrong the rod will slip instead of breaking. Going Incredible Hulk on it completely defeats the purpose. Start "tight" and add a little if it slips. There's no sense in starting at the breaking point.
Hornady stole that idea from lee. The friction collet to hold the decapping spindle. It's just that they didn't do something quite right, it'll slip unless you tighten the living *#$* outa it. They finally figured it out that the smooth spindle just wouldn't hold. SOooo they redesigned, to look like it was threaded, to give the collet something to grip IT STILL SLIPS UNLESS IT'S VERY TIGHT.

I use 2 real wrenches on it. IIRC the die is ¾ on top, the collet is ½". I use all the moxy I can generate with those two wrenches. As for a torque reading, I dunno about 100 ft.#.? Not doing that, will result in NOT punching the primer out, then the now sized neck not allowing the expander to withdraw from the shell/brass. ESPECIALLY if the neck interior is not being properly lubricated.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03346 seconds with 8 queries