View Single Post
Old June 18, 2011, 10:52 PM   #17
Smaug

629s are nice guns, but I much prefer a Redhawk

I've owned a few S&W revolvers: a 64, (stainless 4" 38/357, fixed sights) a 29, (8-3/8" 44 Magnum, blued) and a 625. (stainless 5" 45 ACP) The 625 has been the only one that hasn't underwhelmed me.

For whatever reason, the cylinder release latch didn't work right on the 64. It was a used police trade in gun that I bought sight unseen. Big mistake. Too bad, because the DA trigger on this was AWESOME.

The 29 was beautiful and accurate, but it shot loose with magnum loads, even when I used thread-locking compound on the side plate screws. HEAVY DA trigger, too.

The 625 has no problems. Smooth and consistent, medium weight DA trigger pull. Accurate. SA trigger has the cleanest break I've ever experienced on a handgun; akin to a nice light trigger on a bolt action rifle.

On the other hand, I've had (and still have) two Rugers, my SP-101 (stainless 357 Magnum, 3" compact gun) and my Redhawk (stainless 44 Magnum, 7.5" barrel)

The SP-101 had kind of a heavy, gritty DA pull. With some information gleaned from the internet, I tuned it myself; polished certain internals, and fitted lighter springs. It's good now. Admittedly, not quite as good as a S&W K frame, like my old 64 or a 10. But it is also durable. It never goes out of time, no matter how many magnums I shoot through it. The grip stud frame means that it doesn't hurt to shoot it. (although I admit I've had enough after less than a full box of magnums)

The Redhawk had a good DA and SA trigger when I got it. I fitted a lighter mainspring, and the DA pull is just fantastic now. The SA is good, but not fantastic like the 625's.

This reminds me, the SA pull on my 29 was also fantastic; true target grade.

So I guess if you're going to be mostly shooting targets with lighter loads, and more single action than double, the S&W would be good.

If you'll be shooting more DA than SA and want peace of mind that it will never shoot loose, the Redhawk is better.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries