View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Peakbagr

.223 UMC rounds tight when loaded in bolt gun

Question for the rifle folks here. I have a switch barrel Rem 40X with Hart SS barrel. Gun formerly used as a 6BR short. Gun converted back to original with exception of the barrel.
Waiting for some VMax bullets to arrive, but in the meantime want to get shooting and picked up a few boxes of Remington UMC 55 gr bullets. The rifle bolt is nice and tight and locks up like a bank vault. When I put the live round in to test lock up, the closing the bolt is tighter and the last few degrees of seating the bolt handle are tighter. Being concerned that I'd be putting extra wear on the bolt lugs, I put black marker on the case mouth, neck, where the neck meets the body and at the base of the loaded round. After loading and unloading a number of times, no worn spots on the marker.
Any idea on what's going on, or is the nice, tight lock up of the bolt because the action is so precise or could the UMC brass be an issue?
It's been suggested that I fire a few rounds and then send the brass to the die maker so they can check the fired brass to see if it's within normal specs and whether I might need a custom die made? I noted the work invoice from the gunsmith when he reinstalled the .223 barrel and bolt. The headspace was checked and is OK. Does that mean off the shelf brass ammo and reloads are OK to use?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks....

Last edited by Peakbagr; October 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM.

Page generated in 0.04260 seconds with 8 queries