View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 12:30 AM   #22
Lost Sheep

Not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Z
Cost to start reloading?
I've been pondering starting to reload and I'm trying to figure out how much I have to shoot to break even. I've been shopping around and it looks like it will cost about $850 for a good progressive press and all of the associated accessories etc. Does this sound about right?
It does sound about correct, but far from right.

For someone pondering reloading, to drop nearly a grand on a complete bench sounds impulsive. But that may be just me. Some people know their own minds well enough and you may be one of them.

Please tell us what quantity of ammunition you contemplate loading and how much time you are willing to devote to it. Also, what is your primary goal in reloading. Is it economy? accuracy? customizing loads to specific needs?

There are other considerations to the gear than cost and speed. Ease of use, how compatible is your temperament to progressives where multiple things happen simultaneously and bear a LOT of watching. Also, caliber switching on progressives is more involved (and expensive as you have apparently discovered) than on a single stage or turret. I suggest you price the same components that you chose for your progressive shopping with the price of a Lyman, Hornady or Lee turret press. Something to consider, $300 savings for a setup that is easier to use, simpler and safer and can still produce well over 100 rounds per hour (including setup time).

July 2010 I retired my two progressives and switched to a turret press. I chose the Lee Classic Turret and repopulated my entire bench for under $500 (press, 6 sets of dies, a couple of powder measures, and some accessories) and the $500 includes the price of a good scale, calipers and stuff I am keeping from my old set of gear.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; August 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.02086 seconds with 8 queries