View Single Post
Old July 29, 2009, 07:26 AM   #66
danbrew

Many of us are responsible and will take steps to secure firearms in our own homes, yet one out of every two homes in America has a gun in it. Think of the dumbest guy you know - chances are good he has a gun in his home. Do your kids play with his kids?

I worry less about gun accidents in my home than I do elsewhere. My guns are locked up in a big honken' safe. I've got a SD gun that is secured in a gun vault that I can get to pretty fast, but I've got a GSD that can get to any intruder waaaaaay faster than I can set up a defensive posture.

No one, repeat, no one is getting up those stairs past the dog.

The wisdom is these threads is that it makes us think not only of training (securing firearms, tactics, etc.), but it makes us think of education. You have to teach your kids what to do when they encounter a firearm. Not "if" but "when". You can't be with your kids 100% of the time - they are going to see things at a neighbors' house that you probably wouldn't want them to see at home - so you need to teach them right/wrong and how to respond. My youngest is 9, but at 5, all the kids knew to Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the Area, Tell an Adult.

We all know these things - it's the dumb guy that lives next door that you need to be worried about. The only thing you can do is teach your kids how to respond when they encounter guns, creepy people, etc.

Page generated in 0.02205 seconds with 8 queries