View Single Post
Old February 1, 2001, 11:47 AM   #8
Doc Hudson

J.L.

I will go against the trend her and advise you to buy the gun if you want a .44-40 sixgun. Personally I'd buy it and promptly order a .44 S&W SPL cylinder from American Arms or Uberti. I have an American Arms Regulator .44-40/.44 SPL that I carry on a daily basis. I've done this for about three years now. It shoots good and it looks good. I paid a lot more than $200.00 for mine and feel that it was worth every cent.

Bellicose Bill's comments about the brass frame are correct if he were talking about a cap-and-ball revolver with a total brass reciever. They will eventually strech. No such worries on a Uberti Regulator. Only the grip frame and the trigger guard are brass. If you shoot loads heavy enough to damage the grip frame and trigger guard, the exploding cylinder and the flying topstrap will have killed you before the grip frame gets loose.

Depending on the gun, it will probably benefit from the attention of Tom Sargis. Tom is one of the few gunsmiths in the country that will tune a SAA clone. You can reach his web site from the link posted by Bill. If you contact him, tell him that I reccomended him, Tom is a fine fellow.

JL, what it boils down to is the Cimmarron's and USPFA, and AWA guns might be prettier, but they are the same gun from the same maker. The American Arms and Uberti America guns are less expensive. Decide if you prefer spending money on pretty or on ammo and gunleather.

Doc

Page generated in 0.02406 seconds with 8 queries