View Single Post
Old October 1, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
stevieboy24

Anyone know ANYTHING about this rifle??

This rifle was given to my grandfather back in the 70's. The man who gave it to him was a US ambassador and received it as a gift from the West German government (he was also given a "mauser" double barrel shotgun). The reason I'm posting is because I haven't been able to find ANYTHING about this rifle on the internet. I was always told, and under the assumption that it was a Mauser. I don't know if this is true because there are no markings on the gun that say Mauser.

The scope is a Carl Zeiss Zielvier (sn 45132). I've been able to find info on the net about the scope. I'm still waiting to hear back from Zeiss about any info they would have.

Back to the rifle...The only visible markings are "CAL. .270" on the barrel, the number "4856" next to the bolt, and "08 BJ" on the bolt. There are no other visible markings or inscriptions of any kind...which is why I'm questioning if it's actually a Mauser. The "4856" inscription appears to be hand carved. It's a beautiful rifle. All of the weapons and scope came in leather cases. The cases all have "E.L.F.A" engraved on one end. Maybe the original owner's initials...who knows? The barrel is 23.5" and from tip to butt, 45.5".

Please visit this link to view some pics I took: http://picasaweb.google.com/11647253...eat=directlink . Let me know if you need more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03573 seconds with 8 queries