View Single Post
Old January 16, 2010, 05:49 PM   #24
ArmyJerry

You are dead on correct about the lack of shooting facilities and the crappy ones we have here. I moved from Fairfax to Broward also. I wonder if there is a way to petition the state to open up the public land for target practice.

No, you cannot target shoot anywhere in Florida except designated shooting ranges and private land on which you have explicit approval to do so by the owner.

I live in Broward County (SE Florida just above Miami) and the public ranges here are terrible - at least compared to what I was used to in Virginia. They are crowded so when you get there expect to wait for up to 3 hours (obviously it varies). The range masters are understandably overbearing (considering the stupidity of the uneducated shooters that frequent these ranges). And of course no ammo is sold there. If you forget to bring something you're just out of luck, and there's no point in going home and coming back since you go to the back of the line.

Even if you can stand the wait it is not a collegiate atmosphere of fellow shooting enthusiasts that trade stories and help each other if, for instance, you've got a stovepipe jam. Just because someone can't fix the gun right there on the spot doesn't mean you can't give them advice on how to fix it or at least where to get it fixed. I have helped several people that had problems with their weapons and was basicaly told by the rangemasters to stick to my own bench (???). I will never go there again.

I think most people who go there just don't know any different, but in VA the rangemasters were actually human beings that were willing to help and not intent on making your shooting experience miserable. Even the range at NRA HQ (which is pretty cool with their digital targets) is more relaxed than what I experienced down here.

I am a very safe shooter, seeing as how I don't want to accidentally shoot myself or someone else and all. I follow all the rules to the letter. You will never see me handle a weapon without first checking the chamber, or putting my finger in the trigger guard before being ready to fire, etc. You don't need to be uptight and overbearing to be safe, and I think it is an overreaction.

The worst part is the public ranges have put most rifle-rated private ranges out of business. I am just now searching for private ranges and having a pretty tough time finding one. I thought FL would be a much better place to shoot than VA but boy was I wrong. And the funny thing is I come from Northern VA which in some instances is almost as bad as the People's Republic of California. In fact, the state legislature had to force Fairfax County (where the NRA HQ is BTW) to hand out carry permits as required by law. They were essentially turning down everyone who applied except LEOs.

Page generated in 0.02887 seconds with 8 queries